- Autism Spectrum Disorder / Asperger’s / PDDNOS
- Behavioural Disorders of children / ADHD
- Picky eating
- Food sensitivities
- Sleep problems
- Digestive disorders
- Children’s Health and Well-being
- Poor immunity
- Coughs and colds
What are your qualifications and experience?
- Bachelor of Health Science (Charles Sturt University)
- Advanced Diploma of Naturopathy (Nature Care College)
- Certified GAPS practitioner
- MINDD Foundation International Forum on Children – 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015
- Defeat Autism Now (DAN!) specialised training for Autism with US Paediatricians
- Specialised training with Michael Sichel, Naturopath and specialist in ADHD and Autism
- Naturopath Panelist for the MINDD Foundation Gold Coast Regional Seminar 2010
- Post graduate seminars in Nutrition and Herbal Medicine for Naturopaths
- Haemaview Live Blood Naturopath
- Vitality and Longevity Analysis Naturopath
- Diploma of Nutrition (Nature Care College)
- Diploma of Remedial Massage (Nature Care College)
- Member of the Australian Naturopathic Practitioner’s Association
- Electronics Engineering Certificate
MELANIE WINGATE – Practice Manager & Naturopath
Autism Naturopath & Practice Manager
Julie brings a wealth of caring and experience to Happiness in Health in her role as Dr Kelly’s Naturopath and as our Practice Manager. You’ll see Julie in the practice – please come and have a chat. We had a few questions for Julie …
What inspired you to become a Naturopath?
I had a health crisis in the early 1990s. I’ve suffered with asthma most of my life and it progressed to the stage where a Professor of Respiratory Medicine told me there was nothing that could be done to help me… except more steroid medication. His advice was to give up the sport I loved and my job – I was a mainframe computer engineer with IBM. He actually told me to go home and wrap myself up in cotton wool.
I was only in my early 30s – his advice was devastating and felt like a death sentence. I had to find my own way through this, just like many of you who receive this style of no hope, closed minded advice.
My research led me to Naturopathy, I made changes to my diet, took supplements, herbal remedies and homeopathic medicines. My asthma improved significantly – I was off medication and had my life back.
As I studied biomedical protocols and Autism Genetics, a genetic report and organic acid test showed I needed mitochondrial support. Starting mitochondrial supplements was the missing link and now my asthma is virtually non-existent.
It was a difficult journey but so worth-while. When we ask you to make these sort of changes for your child, your family, I understand the challenges.
Why did you specialise in kids?
I started working as a Naturopath in 2003 at a little clinic in Lennox Head called Lennox Natural Medicines. I had kids coming in with Autism, Asperger’s, ADHD, behavioural problems and developmental delays. I had success with diet changes and treating the gut but I felt there was so much more that could be done. So I began searching for people to learn from.
I trained with Michael Sichel then I saw a conference – The International Forum on Children from the MINDD Foundation – I just had to go!! That was 2009 and I completed the Defeat Autism Now! (DAN) training. I also went in 2011, 2013 and 2015 to keep updated with the latest research. There were a lot of smaller seminars that I’ve been to – Biobalance and Jill James are a few.
I kept bumping into Dr Kelly at these conferences and here I am now as part of her wonderful team.